Chaos And Destruction In D.C.: A Firsthand Account Of The Trump Inauguration Riots By James McLeish


Chaos And Destruction In D.C.: A Firsthand Account Of The Trump Inauguration Riots

By James McLeish


January 20th, 2017, inauguration day. The country was in a state of shock over the surprise victory of republican nominee and real estate tycoon, Donald Trump. Polls had long predicted that Democratic nominee, Hilary Clinton would come out on top.

I slept in late the day of the inauguration, as classes were canceled. I flipped on the TV fully expecting to see a s*** storm of epic proportion. Cars were set a blaze, windows smashed with bricks, riot police toting shields and billy clubs hurling tear gas and flash bang grenades at bandana clad rioters.

Jokingly, I texted one of my friends. Asking him if he wanted to “beat up some protestors.” Said friend was a bit of a wild man and said something to the effect of “f*** yeah.”

Potentially risking injury/arrest, my friend and I made our way to Franklin Square, the epicenter of the civil unrest in the district. As we made our way to the metro station I began to have second thoughts. I figured that this was an incredibly stupid idea and that the two of us would either be killed, injured, or arrested. At this juncture it was too late to turn around. At least I’d get a cool story out of the whole thing.

My friend and I exited the crowded metro station, making our way to Franklin square, soon finding ourselves in the middle of a full-scale riot. Police helicopters circled overhead, the air was thick with smoke from the torched limo. Rioters feverishly waved signs adorned with various slogans. They also chanted “no Trump, no KKK, no fascist USA.”

Some of the more militant individuals assembled makeshift bombs, the peaceful ones lit up joints and took bong rips like they were at a Phish concert.

My friend and I were in the thick of it, taking pictures, when a deranged anarchist hurled a makeshift bomb at the police. This prompted them to charge the line, beating their shields like spartan warriors of yore, hurling tear gas grenades. I was nearly trampled as the rioters made a hasty retreat, my lungs burning from the tear gas.

This process repeated itself multiple times throughout the course of the night, the protestors growing more bold with each attempt. As the sun set on DC, the sense of danger became elevated. Raging fires were started in the middle of the street. Hordes of rioters marched down the street, itching for a fight. Trump supporters didn’t help matters much, as they jeered and taunted the rioters while donning the now infamous “maga” caps. A few of them had the wherewithal to ditch their hats and get the h*** out of Dodge, avoiding possible disfigurement.

Between the intense bouts of violence, we had time to observe the strange scene. In attendance, there were hippies, anarchists, feminists, BLM, and every group in between. I can recall an inordinate amount of Bono being played as part of an impromptu concert. Quasi Presidential candidate, Vermin Supreme was there, donning his signature rubber boot. He was also stoned out of his mind. The air was so thick with pot smoke that one could of confused it with a Grateful Dead concert if it weren’t for all of the violence and destruction. Some of the more dedicated protestors went as far as to set up camp until they were eventually booted out by DC police.

It was early in the morning, maybe 1 or 2 in the morning when we decided that we had enough and got out. On a certain level, I think we both were aware of how stupid we were to venture into that mess. Upon our return to campus we regaled all of our friends with an exaggerated account of events. They scolded us, told us that we were crazy. They were right. If I could go back in time I wouldn’t change a thing. In this case, the recklessness of youth paid off. I got to witness history in the making. The catalyst to one of the most divisive periods in American history since the Vietnam War.

Now we’re over two years into Trump’s presidency and the state of discourse in our fair country has not improved at all. Both parties willfully engage in infantile name-calling and bickering. I for one, hope that electing an egomaniacal billionaire with absolutely no political experience will serve as a learning experience for all of us.

Put your political leanings aside and do what is best for your fellow American. I’m saying this as a former Republican.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All About Joseph Ross

The Beginning Of The 2020's Decade (Happy New Year (2020))

My Last Blog Post In My 20's & Happy 30th Birthday To Me